What do you do when you have a ton of rhubarb to use up...make jam! Obviously :)
This recipe is very simple and makes enough to last about 1 week so there is no need to prep a bunch of jars and go through with the usual complicated jam making protocol. This jam is also so much healthier than any other recipe I have tried in the past as it only requires a few simple ingredients and is completely vegan and refined sugar free...WIN!
All you are going to need for this recipe is the following..
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb (I like to use the smaller stalks)
- 2 cups fresh chopped strawberries (you can also use frozen)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to medium and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, continue to stir.
- Once the jam has thickened, add in the chia seeds and stir again until well combined.
- Remove from heat and transfer the jam into a medium sized mason jar and let cool completely.
- Once cool, store in the fridge for up to a week.
- I like to use this jam on top of my homemade buckwheat bread, on top of smoothie bowls, oatmeal bowls and so much more!