Im guessing Im not the only one who thinks health is overcomplicated these days, you don’t have to swear off unhealthy foods for life, live in a yoga temple and drink green juice 24/7 to be healthy. Its simply moving towards a lifestyle that is going to nourish your mind body and soul in a way that is not only sustainable but enjoyable for you too. Some simple tips to live by and slowly implement into your daily routine would be…
- Practice self love, this is not always easy and takes time and practice but doing something every day that makes you happy will go a long way, even if its just 5 minutes a day, write in a journal, take a bath or schedule some YOU time. It's so easy to get caught up in comparing yourself with others or getting down on yourself with social media, magazines and other mass media channels constantly telling you you aren't good enough, fit enough or have the newest fashions. I'm here to tell you that you have every right to be completely in love with yourself, its not easy to embrace yourself at all times but with practice it gets easier, and trust me its worth it to free your mind of thinking you aren't good enough.
- Eat more whole foods, think whole fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds, things that come from the earth and will provide your body wth instant nourishment from phytonutrients, water, fibre, antioxidants, minerals and more! Whole foods help and support every system in your body from the inside out and will have your skin glowing and radiant.
- Get enough good quality sleep, nowadays this is definitely becoming more and more important, even if we do get enough sleep, the quality of sleep is just not as good as it once was. I suggest turning off all technology 1-2 hours before bed, creating a relaxing environment in your bedroom with essential oils and soft lighting from salt lamps etc. As well as keeping the room temperature cool for a good nights rest.
- Drink more water! This one is obvious but majority of our population is dehydrated, being dehydrated can cause you to think you are hungry when you are actually just thirsty, can cause headaches, can decrease your energy levels and can impact your skin health so drink up! When cravings start to kick in, try downing a large glass of water instead and see how you feel.
- Practice stress reducing activities, this includes meditation, yoga, stretching, deep breathing or anything else that helps create more calm in your mind. Being stressed is one of the top leading causes of inflammation, weight gain and disease and can be fixed with a simple 5-10 minute meditation done daily. The benefits from this come over time and consistency so taking a step back to breathe deeply every day can drastically impact your overall health and stress levels. There are a ton of great free apps for guided meditations if you are new to meditating or if you are a meditating regular try extending your practice for an additional 5-10 minutes and see how you feel
- Move Your Body, exercise is such a beneficial activity for your body and mind, this doesn’t have to be intense exercise done daily but instead a way of movement that you personally love doing, going out for a walk, going for a run, going for a bike ride, doing yoga, pilates, weight lifting or challenging yourself to a fun group fitness class, the possibilities are endless and so are the health benefits.
- Spend time with loved ones, taking time to talk to people who are important to you each day can play a huge role in your health and happiness, weather that be a phone call to a distant relative or a breakfast date with a friend, we are social beings and crave a connection with likeminded people, this can help reduce stress and create a sense of overall wellbeing and balance in your life.