Welcome to my very first blog post! Such exciting times so I thought I would celebrate with what is one of my all time favourite smoothie recipes. This is not your typical smoothie however, the base is made from steamed and then frozen sweet potatoes and it gives it the most delicious flavour and incredibly creamy texture. This smoothie will have you glowing inside and out due to the high amounts of vitamin A and anti-inflammatory compounds found in sweet potatoes providing you with long lasting energy throughout the day.
This recipe is very simple to make but does require some prep ahead of time for the sweet potatoes, I suggest steaming them the night before and pop them in the freezer overnight for the best texture.
All you are going to need is the following...
- 1 large steamed then frozen sweet potato (peel if not using organic)
- 1 large frozen ripe banana
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (optional but adds a nice flavour)
- 1 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut water or unsweetened almond milk
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder (optional but great for hormone balancing)
- Combine all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. This smoothie works well as a smoothie bowl too, simply pour it into a bowl and top with granola and your favourite fruit.